Make, Jane, make!: Lazy End of Summer - Blueberry Upside-Down Cake

Printfriendly

Small Share

Monday, September 5, 2011

Lazy End of Summer - Blueberry Upside-Down Cake

So it's been over a week with zero posting from moi due to the fact that I didn't think I had any pictures of projects to post about.  I figured that it was just the craziness of cramming everything in at the end of the summer that had me making and creating so little...  Little did I know that I actually had a few items stored up that I had forgotten to post about last week!


We went blueberry picking a few weeks ago with another family (also two boys!) and the kids had a blast. I couldn't believe how long my eldest was able to pick blueberries without losing interest. I guess he felt he had to fill up the bucket before he could play anything else.

The baby boy, on the other hand, was a little difficult at first. Not due to lack of interest, but more due to lack of discretion. For the first twenty minutes, I was perpetually hovering over him and his bucket, discarding all the red and green berries from his stash, as well as any dried up blueberries he picked up from the ground. Not long afterward, luckily for me (and my humungous preggers belly), he noticed one of the other boys was putting berries into his mouth instead of the bucket. That effectively ended his blueberry picking and he commenced in blueberry consumption. Needless to say, diaper changes were quite interesting for the next few days.

Afterward, we ended up at a nearby park for a picnic lunch (thanks for the food Y family!) and some play. The boys loved playing in the creek, which was just the perfect depth (and temperature) for summer play.


Neither child managed to stay awake for long after loading into the car for the drive home. In fact, baby didn't even make it out of the parking lot!

We ended up with bucket loads of blueberries, most of which are now frozen and awaiting jamming. Some were eaten fresh, some eaten straight from the bucket in their natural unwashed form (by the baby boy again!) and some were employed in baked goods.

I had been thinking about this recipe from Thibeault's Table ever since it was mentioned over at Apartment Therapy the kitchn. Any recipe that has been in use since the 80's has to be a winner in order to be stored in the recipe bank for decades!


It was delicious and very easy to make. It had a nice even, moist crumb, much like a coffee cake, and a good balance between sweet and slightly tart. The amount of blueberry topping was perfect and it gelled really nicely, enabling me to cut tiny, delicate slices of cake without blueberries falling off to each side.

Add it to your blueberry repertoire - it's definitely made it into mine. A sure crowd pleaser with minimal effort. A win-win if you ask me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment