Make, Jane, make!: Spring Planting with the Kids, Part 3

Printfriendly

Small Share

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Spring Planting with the Kids, Part 3

I am your typical Canadian girl who throws her normal responsibilities and duties aside to enjoy the great outdoors as soon as warm weather arrives. So while I've been taking pictures and dreaming up blog posts, I have spent zero time actually writing them. But the backlog is growing and I need to get back into the swing of things...



The plants are out in the garden - I ended up not hardening them off and opted to place them directly into the soil. I broke each eggshell gently before I planted them so that the little roots would have an easier time getting into the garden soil.


It's been about a week and a half that the little seedlings have been out there and they seem to be doing okay. Luckily, the weather has been cooperative and there have only been a few days of extreme heat. Unfortunately, I have another vegetable garden enemy and it's a family of resident rabbits.



The bunnies discovered my garden a few years back when I started planting lettuce and have been visiting every year since then to take their pick of the crop before we've even had breakfast. I've stopped planting lettuce since we get it in some abundance with our farmshare, but they seem to have moved onto some of the sweeter tomatoes and peppers.

The brandywine tomatoes before the rabbits got to them.
This year I've discovered that they also seem to like eating the tender leaves of new tomato plants. As a result, I have already lost three tomato plants as of this morning. They don't seem interested in the plants as they grow bigger and start getting a bit tougher, so I'm hoping that the remaining plants have already been passed over.

I've also planted a second round of eggshells with some herbs for my smallest raised bed. Hopefully they'll be ready to go out into the garden in a couple of weeks and I'll get a week reprieve before the CSA season inundates us with the season's first fresh veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment